archive

May 23, 2010

Charlie on Josh

Writer: Josh Lemoine

Critiquer: Charlie Thompson

I had some time with Josh's print at the studio this evening. I spent quite a bit of time with it to be frank. As I sat there inspecting the work, looking for something to catch my eye, couldn't help but revert my attention to the other works on the wall. I looked at the work as a whole, then left my seat to get a closer look at a few pieces. As I moved away from the wall and back to my seat I felt myself acting as if I were Josh. I took a moment and attempted to put myself in his position, copying to my best ability his movements during critique. Objectively I moved through what I could remember. I moved from a distance got a very close look at the pieces that caught my eye, felt the textures of the ink on the paper. As I went through this process I found myself in an intimate critique of Josh. Although I am not Josh, this felt very familiar to me. I thought I would wait until Josh posted his critique on Shannon's work before I moved forward with my critique.

I sat looking over my notes in front of my computer.

They are as follows:
"I had very little thought (which is quite normal) on this until after I
examined the image"

Old Grandpa Man... Elderly Man... What else beside a fishing cap

A Grandma' ma'

Social Interaction

I found it interesting that Josh critiqued Shannon's work the same way he does while he is in the gallery or studio critique environment. I can almost picture his walking up to the work and objectively looking at it, and making the remarks he made in his writing. The notes I took were only from his writing, for I didn't take any at the studio while looking at his work. The remarks Josh made in his writing emulated the normal approach taken in our critiques. He approaches the work objectively, making a spectacle of his time spent with the work, looking closely, telling us what he sees. He then follows that that with another observation in the form of a joke. In this case he calls the two figures in Shannon's piece an "Old Grandpa Man" and "A Grandma' Ma'". The back and forth approach can be seen in both descriptions about the figure. He refers to the male figure as "Old Grandpa Man", "Elderly Man", and after following a more serious approach he comes back with the light-hearted subjective comment "What else besides a fishing cap".
I went about critiquing Josh's work in this way because I feel the social interactions I, and the fellow artists have with Josh are seemingly of higher interest in the critique setting than the work he displays. I only say this because from my perspective he approaches critique in the same way we interact. For me this is where the parallel between the intimate relationship I described above and this critique is drawn. I took this approach because I felt that approaching this critique in this manner could be more in Josh's favor.

Sorry about the three minute delay on the time limit.

I will bring Cat Nip for Claws in hopes of forgetting

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment



Cat Village is a sovereign state irreverent to the rules of Modernism. Earn our respect with effort and responsibility.